[Savannah-hackers] Re: [gnu.org #213067] Notifications lost

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [gnu.org #213067] Notifications lost
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:31:51 +0200

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 03:59:29PM -0400, Ward Vandewege via RT wrote:

> Hi Sylvain,
>
> > address@hidden - Sun Oct 24 11:50:47 2004]:
> > For support tracker items and project submissions, we usually get a
> > notication to address@hidden
> >
> > Now, we do not receive them anymore. The mail appears to be sent well
> > (according to Exim), but it is lost nonetheless.
>
> I found and fixed the problem.
>
> RMS requested that we tweak lists.gnu.org to refuse mail from our own
> Mailman lists (and their various administrative addresses) to our own
> lists. He wanted this because spam is being sent with a From address of
> one of our unmoderated lists and a To addres of one of our moderated
> lists. The auto-reply informing the sender that the message was waiting
> to be moderated was being sent to the unmoderated lists.
>
> So I've modified Exim on lists to refuse e-mail from one of our lists
> (or its administrative addresses) to another one of our lists.
>
> Obviously, as it now turns out, this blocked your messages from
> savannah-bounces to savannah-hackers.
>
> I've added the sender savannah-bounces as an exception to the rule. Are
> there any other list addresses Savannah sends e-mail from to Mailman
> lists? Just let me know and I'll add them.
>
> Sorry about the inconvenience caused...

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

This means that all projects that had mail sent from Savannah to a
[non]gnu.org mailing-list were rejected :/

savannah-bounces is the list that gets bounces for mails sent by
Savanna; I remember it was once set to none and that caused mails to
be refused by the gnu.org mail system as well. savannah-bounces is set
in the PHP sendmail code.

Now that I think of it, I wonder whether we could replace
savannah-bounces by the e-mail in the "From:" field... Corvus should
know more about this, as he told me to use savannah-bounces some
months ago to fix the problem I mentioned.

Currently, savannah-bounces is the only mailing list, I think, that
"sends" mail from Savannah. If we switch to ssmtp, as I described in
another mail today, then the sender may be something else. I'll
investigate.

--
Sylvain