Re: [Savannah-hackers] changing file permissions in CVS

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] changing file permissions in CVS
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:11:20 +0100 (CET)

> > How can I change a file permission in the CVS?  More specifically,
> > I've checked in a file with the executable bit set, which I would
> > like to remove (in groff's CVS, the file
> > `contrib/gdiffmk/tests/tests.sh).  Ideally, I would like to have a
> > web form for that to avoid bothering you...
>
> The cederqvist states that: "CVS also ignores file permissions and
> ownerships, leaving such issues to be resolved by the developer at
> installation time." (node "Special Files").

I know that, but it doesn't reflect the reality, at least not for
GNU/Linux -- the Unix CVS *does* honour file permissions while
checking out files from a repository the first time; it sets the
executable bit for files which have them set in the CVS too, AFAIK.

> So in principle we should not change file permissions, and set our
> autotools configuration files accordingly instead.

I like the current CVS behaviour.  The only problem is that I can't
access it automatically...

    Werner