[Savannah-hackers] How to create projects CVS submodules

From: NOULARD Eric
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] How to create projects CVS submodules
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 13:42:28 +0100

Hi,

I am (one of) project admin of the TSP non gnu project
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tsp)
we want to create several CVS submodules which
should stay side-by-side with the actual
'tsp' one.

now we have:
CVS_REPODIR/CVSROOT
CVS_REPODIR/tsp

we may (still thinking about the names)

CVS_REPODIR/CVSROOT
CVS_REPODIR/tsp
CVS_REPODIR/tsp_docs
CVS_REPODIR/tsp_externals

Then we may easily checkout any part of the TSP.
Mostly documentation/source/externals for now.

This 'split' would make the CVS tree more
modular and 'lighter' to use.

I know we may use CVSROOT/modules for 'faking'
that behavior, but then I won't be able
to avoid checking out the whole tree.

In fact the operation we want to do may be viewed
as a CVS tree 'refactoring' in order to modularize
a CVS tree which is not.

What do you suggest us?
What is possible and what is not?
--