Re: [Savannah-help-public] PROBLEM WITH CVS (qtgeo)

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] PROBLEM WITH CVS (qtgeo)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:44:47 +0200

Hello,

When you report an error, please send me the exact commands, and the
exact output, this will help me understand the issue.

You cannot connect directly to Savannah - but you can execute the "cvs
server" command. This command is issued by CVS, so you need not a
shell login to Savannah. The uploads are performed via the upload
system documented in the FAQ (savannah.gnu.org/faq/).

You still cannot upload files because you didn't add a GnuPG key to
your account. This is needed for the upload system.

If CVS still asks you a password while you can get the "no shell
login" error at Savannah, then something is wrong in your cvs
invocation, or environment. Please give me the command you type, and
check that it matches the one from your project documentation (in the
CVS area).

The security reason is that we do not allow users to perform arbitrary
commands on our server. For example, malicious users could run
CPU-consuming tasks and DoS Savannah. This also makes cracking way
easier. However the system is completely usable without shell access.

--
Sylvain