[Savannah-help-public] Re: [sr #103933] Cleaning up mailing list archive

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:20:52 +0100

* Karl Berry wrote on Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 06:02:35PM CET:
> Hi Thomas and all,

>     I second Ralf's request to keep the existing html interface
>     (i.e. the URLs) intact, if that's doable without too much hassle.
>
> Did you do anything to preserve url's in your filtering?  Otherwise,
> installing the reduced mboxes in the ordinary way (arch --wipe) will
> change all the url's.
>
> I remain unaware of any existing code that will spamfilter an existing
> archive while preserving the url's.  It would be great if someone could
> volunteer to write such a thing.  It does not seem exactly trivial.

Well, gmane's source code is free software, and it contains such
functionality.  It's documented to be work-in-progress and very much not
in a releasable state -- changing that and also making it applicable to
other archives such as the lists.gnu.org one would be a very cool thing
to have.  :-)

OTOH, gmane already offers some gnu.org lists; so I can see that the
actual incentive to do such work is limited.

Cheers,
Ralf