[Savannah-help-public] Re: [task #6504] Submission of CJK-LaTeX

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] Re: [task #6504] Submission of CJK-LaTeX
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 14:12:05 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 01:30:12PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > > Thanks again!  It seems that I should import the CVS archive to
> > > Savannah's git by myself, right?
> >
> > Yes, I initialized it at:
> > git://git.sv.gnu.org/cjk.git
> > http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/cjk.git
> > ssh+git://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/cjk.git
>
> Hmm, the user is `root'.  Is this correct?

Well the repo is owned by root and gives group access to group 'cjk',
which you are member of. You need to use ~wl to access the repository.

> I get a lot of
>
>  403 Forbidden - Unknown commit object
>
> errors if I follow, say, the `commit' link from
>
>   http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=cjk.git

The repository is currently empty, I think that's normal.

> What command shall I use for importing the CVS archive?

There are some basic commands at:
http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/Git

The import is essentially:

- create a local Git repository and import the CVS history there, on
  your machine

- push the local repository to Savannah with something like:
    git push address@hidden:/srv/git/cjk.git master:refs/heads/master
  With git you can import the initial repository without admin
  intervention.

I don't know what's best for a CVS->git conversion though.

You can ask Jim Meyering what he did for coreutils, or ask the git
mailing list. It would be good to get some documentation on the
process.

--
Sylvain