[Savannah-help-public] [sr #105838] Cannot set SGID bit on directory in

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #105838] Cannot set SGID bit on directory in Download area
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 16:16:44 +0000

Update of sr #105838 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => Beuc

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hi,

In principle this should be done automatically: the top-level directory is
setgid, and there's a default umask of 002 for every SSH connection.

Now if for some reason the mode was changed, then you indeed need to set it
back for collaborative work.

Unfortunately, from what I can see in the sftp source code, the sftp server
does a '& 0777' before applying the chmod, which unsets the setgid even if
you specify it explicitely.
Can you please report this bug (feature?) to the OpenSSH project and check
out why it's done that way?

Meanwhile, you can work around via the rsync and sftp access:

local$ cd /tmp
local$ mkdir -m 2775 mydir
local$ scp -rp mydir address@hidden:/releases/myproject/
# or
local$ rsync -a mydir/ address@hidden:/releases/myproject/mydir/
# or (shorter)
local$ rsync -a mydir address@hidden:/releases/myproject/

Beware that you may have uploaded new directories in non-setgid ones. In this
case the system sets the directory group to 'svusers'. Then sftp is a pain
again and asks you to chgrp the directory using the group number, not the
group name. You can get this group number through:
sftp> ls -lan /releases/myproject
Then:
sftp> chgrp 3698 /releases/myproject/mynonsetgiddir/dir2

Let me know if you can do everything without admin intervention.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?105838>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/