[Savannah-help-public] [sr #104719] Supporting Darcs2

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #104719] Supporting Darcs2
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:26:36 +0000

Update of sr #104719 (project administration):

Follow-up Comment #6:

Hey, sorry for the delay.

Hmmm, I didn't know you were a darcs developer.

The best would be to get a long-term contact, who would check how to
implement the service in the Savane code base, as well as on the server side,
taking into account some of the constraints we have. (s)He could also, when
the service is operational, answer punctual questions e.g. about upgrades. If
(s)he becomes a Savannah Hacker, that would be perfect :)

So yes, the code is at:
git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/savane-cleanup.git
There recent Git, Mercurial and bzr support in the commit history can show
you easily what to do for the frontend part. This can also be done by looking
for "git" in the source and adding similar inline code for darcs.

As far as the server-side go, our base security principle is that we do not
offer local access. Currently we either offer restricted shell (e.g.
git-shell) that only accept the VCS command, or we offer SFTP access (but the
integration is not as good). Similarly, commit hooks are installed
automatically, or by the Savannah hackers if that's not implemented yet (e.g.
commit notification mail).

So the first question we'll ask ourselves now is then: does darcs2 offer a
server-side - or does it rely on a "dumb" protocol?

Having somebody maintain the Debian backport is a priority too - it's
difficult to keep up with security issues and possibly new versions if the
package isn't available through APT.

Last we'll need to install a web viewer. 'darcsweb' looks good at first
glance (I haven't tried to install it though), but maybe there are other
suggestions for Savannah.

Before to make the service available sitewide, usually we start a beta phase
where the service may change, which a few projects that will use darcs and
report problems. Once we're confident that the system is stable and can scale
to hundreds of projects, we enable it :)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?104719>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/