[Savannah-help-public] [sr #106896] Migration from CVS to git creates to

From: Heinrich Langos
Subject: [Savannah-help-public] [sr #106896] Migration from CVS to git creates too many branches
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:54:13 +0000

> > * please remove "-b" from the cvs tag instructions
> > or document the lasting effects.
>
> This is a wiki, please do the latter :)

Done.
Sorry I didn't see the tiny list of wiki command links.
Is it possible to get a wiki as a "Feature" for projects ?
Like the Task Tracker feature?

> > * Do I need origin/origin at all?

Nope I don't.

> > o How can I remove it?

Found it.

git push origin :heads/origin

> > o How can I rename it to something like origin/cvs if
> > I decide that I need it for historical reasons or
> > upstream reasons?

Renaming can be done locally (i.e. before pushing) by

git branch -m oldname newname

or later by copying and removing the old branch.
see http://github.com/guides/rename-a-remote-branch

> > * Do I need origin/master?
>
> Looks like a question for the git mailing list rather than us.
> I'd say "yes, unless you want to inconvenience your users",
> but I could be wrong.

Turns out it is easier to just keep it :-)

> > * How do I clean out the remote git repository to start
> > over ? :-)
> That you need to ask us and we do it after validating you
> actually plan to put something back.

Already done it. I simply deleted all remote branches and
pushed again like there was nothing but an empty repository waiting. "git gc"
will do the rest.
Behold the raw power of git ;-)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106896>

  Message sent via/by Savannah