Re: [Savannah-help-public] missing SSL cert from savannah site

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] missing SSL cert from savannah site
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:27:21 +0200

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 11:13:48PM +0100, Jon wrote:
> Adding mattl to CC incase he has any ideas..
>
> Richard Stallman wrote:
> >    I think the thing to do would be to convince Mozilla to
> >include CAcert     root certificate in Firefox.
> >
> >Someone said that this was already being worked on.
> >If additional support from us would help, we would be glad to give it.
> >Can you find out who we should talk to?
> >
> >     Much better than trying to convince users     to install the
> >SSL cert. They only see the message after they have     already
> >had all the error popups and then not bothered to continue..
> >
> >We're going to change the setup of pages so as to inform the user
> >just when the issue arises.
>
> This issue came up again, still I see no one has resolved it.. Is it
> any wonder everyone uses Sourceforge? How many months/years until
> someone sets up the SSL cert from an athorised root agency will it
> be?
>
> On http://savannah.gnu.org/ click "Login". See attached error. Close
> browser and never return to the site. How many visitors does GNU
> loose because the HTTPS SSL cert is not authenticated as valid by a
> root cert in browsers?

The plan is to add more documentation about including CAcert (which
hasn't expired to my knowledge).  I haven't gotten around to do that
yet, due to other pending issues, but maybe you could contribute it?

> So again.. I offer to pay for the valid SSL cert, just tell me who
> to forward it on to. Or tell me when you've paid for it and I will
> donate the same amount.

I'd also like a certificate for my Java applets, and also one for my
ms woe .exe installers which (like Firefox' or OpenOffice's) trigger a
bad-looking warning under recent versions/SPs of that OS.  If you can
buy that for each Savannah project that would be great.  I have to
warn you that the annual fee is subtantially higher though (like 50x).

--
Sylvain