Re: [Savannah-help-public] Question about new non-GNU project

From: Michael J. Flickinger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Question about new non-GNU project
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:59:30 -0500

On 12/17/2011 06:26 PM, Paulo Henrique Torrens wrote:
I am currently working on a big project which I would like to host on
Savannah as a non-GNU software, which is composed of several tools and
libraries (it's actually a toolchain), of which many parts are LGPLed,
but the core is under it's own license - which is almost equal to LGPL,
but it does not allow forks (no distribution of modified versions of the
software as of another project, although it is ok to use and distribute
modified versions of the code and uses of it along with other software
projects, even if statically linked... just not to make a derivative
project from it).

Is there any chances it gets approved?

Thanks.

Restricting distribution of modified software, as far as I can tell, makes the software not "free." Since the ability of the end-user to modify, enhance, and redistribute the software is a very important freedom.

In fact, since the GPL allows for modified redistribution and your proposed license does not, it sounds like you may have a GPL compatibility issue on your hands.

May I ask why you are concerned about forks of the project? In general, project's are not forked so somebody can "steal your code." They're forked generally when a project ceases developer, or there's a real issue with project leadership. That's why the freedom to fork (redistribute modified version of your software as another project) is such an important freedom.

Best,

Michael J. Flickinger