[savannah-help-public] [sr #108459] How to mplement MULTI-TAP input meth

From: santhosh
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #108459] How to mplement MULTI-TAP input method using m17n
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 05:47:15 +0000

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email: address@hidden
        Operating System: GNU/Linux
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

Hello,
I am trying to implement MULTI-TAP feature on the NUMPAD
using keymapping in m17n.
I am using Ubuntu 12.04. I have referred the tutorials given
on:
<http://www.nongnu.org/m17n/manual-en/m17nDBTutorial.html>
I have tried the examples given in the tutorial; working fine.

The MULTI-TAP feature i want to implement is similar mobile keypad:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-tap>

the simple key map KEYSEQ would be something like this:
("0" "0")
("2" "2")-- if "2" pressed once after some fixed timeout
            (1/2 sec or so) 2 is confirmed or if the next
            key press is not "2" then 2 is confirmed.
("22" "a")-- before timeout if "2" is pressed again, "a" is
             considered; confirmed after timeout or next
             key press is not "2".
("222" "b")
("2222" "c")
("3" "3")
("33" "d") so on...

If I use direct mapping I cannot type a text like '222'.
because if i press 2 once it waits forever for next key press before it
confirms and since next key is again 2 it considers "a".
(unless I type something like this
2,0,backspace,2,0,backspace,2,0,backspace).

I would like to know is there any method to handle such
'timeout' feature/exception? How to use?
Or is there any other method I can try?
Please suggest.

Thank you and regards.
Kthurst