[savannah-help-public] [sr #108500] User specification of "Subject" line

From: Glenn Golden
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #108500] User specification of "Subject" line doesn't seem to work
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 22:21:45 +0000

For some reason I never noticed your Comment #2 from 06-Mar, and just now saw
your #3.

Interestingly though, the email that I received as a copy of your Comment #3
had the customized Subject field that I had set up.

So, given that, is it possible that what you meant by "the feature seems to
only be active for your own postings" really means that "the feature seems to
be active only for tickets for which you are the originator"? (By "originator"
I mean the user listed in the "Submitted By" field.)

If this is the case, then I agree with your inclination to disable the
feature, since in its present state it doesn't seem to behave per user
expectation, and the way that it does behave -- providing the customized
Subject line only for tickets which one originated -- doesn't seem to
accomplish anything useful. It's often the case that a user contributes many
comments to a ticket that they did not originate

This "usefulness" assessment is based on the assumption that the intent of the
feature was to allow structuring the Subject line so that it could be used for
mail filtering purposes at the destination host. But if it works only for
self-originated postings and not for postings originated by others, then it
would seem not to serve this purpose very well.

In short, I'm in agreement with you that it's probably better to disable it
than leave it and have others waste their time setting it up only to find it
doesn't behave as they probably expected.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?108500>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/