Re: [savannah-help-public] No such user jeffnz in CVSROOT/passwd

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] No such user jeffnz in CVSROOT/passwd
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 00:06:13 -0700

Hello Jeff,

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> child process exited abnormallycvs update: warning: failed to open
> /home/jeff/.cvspass for reading:
> No such file or directory

What command produced that output?  You didn't show us.  And neither
of us have been eating enough fish oil because the telepathy isn't
working either. :-)

> no such user jeffnz in CVSROOT/passwd

That error though tells me that you are trying to use the pserver with
some other user other than "anonymous".  The pserver only supports the
anonymous user.

But I thought we had you using ssh?  There was all of that ssh
discussion going on.  I was pretty sure we were talking about ssh
access somewhere along the way there.

Try this for your account name:

  cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/web/noob-a-tron co noob-a-tron

Then you will be able to check in your html file.  Here is another
hint.  I suggest naming it "noob-a-tron.html".  It makes it easier to
search for if the name is unique.  Which helps if you have several
projects all going at once.  Then create a symlink to it using the
".symlinks" hack.

  $EDITOR noob-a-tron.html
  ... as you desire ...
  $EDITOR .symlinks
  ... make it exactly this following line ...
  noob-a-tron.html index.html

Then add both of those files.  Then commit them.

  cvs add noob-a-tron.html .symlinks
  cvs commit

That should do it.

> I used tkcvs and managed to upload source but I can't remember what I
> did to make it work. Is something pointing to the wrong location?

I just checked out a fresh copy of your project web site for
noob-a-tron and I don't see any files checked in.

  address@hidden:/tmp cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/web/noob-a-tron co
noob-a-tron
  cvs checkout: Updating noob-a-tron
  address@hidden:/tmp cd noob-a-tron/
  address@hidden:/tmp/noob-a-tron$ ll
  total 4
  drwxrwxr-x 2 rwp rwp 4096 Mar  9 22:59 CVS/
  address@hidden:/tmp/noob-a-tron$

Basically an empty project.  No files were uploaded.  If they were
then we would see them.

Previously I saw in your prompt that your hostname was "linux-xx76"
and so I assume you are running from a GNU/Linux OS.  Is that right?
What distribution are you running?  I think we need to get you some
more OS specific help.

Bob