[savannah-help-public] [sr #109462] Document how to set up multiple git

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109462] Document how to set up multiple git repositories in a project?
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 03:07:29 -0500 (EST)

Update of sr #109462 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => rwp

Follow-up Comment #1:

There isn't any standard procedure.  Because with git there isn't ever a real
need for multiple directories.  It is only a convenience since one can always
use different branches for the different subprojects of a main project just
like with svn that you are moving from.  And they all have the same commit
permissions regardless.

You asked about documentation.  There isn't any user documentation on it but
the documentation for the admin side of things is:

https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/Git/

You asked for two subdirectories and that seems reasonable. I have created
these subprojects for you for sysvinit.  The naming can be either startpar.git
or sysvinit-startpar.git as you desire.  Let us know if you want them renamed.
 But I am guessing this is what you want.

address@hidden:/srv/git/sysvinit/startpar.git
address@hidden:/srv/git/sysvinit/insserv.git

Please say what you would like in each of the three project git description
files.  Instead of "Unnamed repository".  It is good to get those filled out
and there is no web interface to do so.

As to sr#109398 you have guilted me into looking at it.  You know he asked for
25 subdirectories!  That seems excessive.  And apparently everyone else who
has looked at that ticket thought so as well or it would have been handled by
another of the volunteers.  Things are somewhat of a democracy in that if no
one thinks something is worthy then it might not be worked on with the
enthusiasm of something that seems more worthy.  For projects such as that one
I have been been hearing rumors that a GitLab instance is getting assembled
for GNU projects.  I know little more than that rumor.  But when available
that seems like it would be a better fit for that project.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109462>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/