Re: [sr #110593] copyright year in header/footer stale

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [sr #110593] copyright year in header/footer stale
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 15:11:17 -0700

    not to dynamically emit the current year in the copyright statement?
    Of course that is different from the Copyright statement on the source
    code for web sites.

As far as I can recall, the FSF (rms) had legal advice to have the
physical text "2022" appear in some file that is part of the web page,
for the same reason as it is done in source files. I take your point,
though.

At least, that was the advice as of a few decades ago. I rather doubt
the question has come up in court, or if anyone has asked the question
of the FSF's lawyers since. If you feel like pursuing it, feel free to
ask copyright-clerk@gnu.org. Good luck :). --best, karl.