[Savannah-register-public] [task #3659] Submission of The FreeType Proje

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #3659] Submission of The FreeType Project
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:26:26 +0000

                Category:        Project Approval => Approved Projects to be
Reviewed

Follow-up Comment #4:

[Please use the tracker to reply]

> We are still waiting for an answer from the FSF lawyers regarding
> compatibility of the FreeType license with the GPL :-(

Ok, we'll look at the code later then.

> > You should also add notices to the documentation.  We recommend the
> > GFDL for this kind of work.
>
> For simplicity and easier updating I'll refer to the same
> dual-licensing stuff currently.  This will change as soon as we
> receive a definite answer from the lawyers.

Ok.

> BTW, are the Debian people already accepting GFDL?

Sebastian tells me he didn't hear of any progress.
Why they activate the non-free repository by default yet do not accept the
GFDL is beyond me :/

> Hehe, many national patent agencies have approved software patents
> inspite of not being allowed to do that.  Additionally it is next to
> useless to develop software which can't be used in the USA legally...

RMS recently told me "It is silly to give more power to patents by cowering
in fear of them even when they are not being enforced.". I think it is good
to make clear those patents are not enforceable at the moment in Europe. As
for me I only discovered recently that I could legally create GIFs, because
somebody pointed me France doesn't accept software patents. I don't think I
would help fighting legalization of software patents if I believed they were
already in place :)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=3659>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/