[Savannah-register-public] [task #4612] Submission of Project Gutenberg

From: Sebastian Wieseler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4612] Submission of Project Gutenberg Distributed Proofreade
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:52:36 +0000

Follow-up Comment #8:

Sébastien Blondeel <sbi> wrote per PM:
I must have misunderstood something about Savannah. Is it only for
finished and polished projects? There is a bootstrap problem then.

I am not planning to publish the project right away, just clean up my
private mess (developed at home over the years) and put it on a public
place with regular backups so I don't have to take care of the hosting +
bandwidth + etc. myself.

I found a beta-tester to help me comment the installation procedures:
http://www.pgdp.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=154856#154856
Another Distributed Proofreader is interested in my tools too.

Until the software is not officially "publicly released" it has no
status with respect to free or proprietary software: it is private
software.

Do you write a copyright statement first thing of all every time you
create a new file?

Sanity check: I am requesting the Savannah team for CVS write permission
on some place on their disks. If/when I have it, you will have to trust
me to not remove that legalese (I guess you don't keep looking all CVS
changes in order to catch that). If you trust me that much, you can
trust me to be able to include those things in the now-existing files.
If/when new files exist, I will have to think about it anyway.

The tarball I sent you will not be committed to the CVS as is. I will
need to remove the hardcoded paths in there, make it easier to install
for others, document things and algorithms used, explain what I did to
custom VIM behaviour for others to adapt it to their pet editor, etc.

You wrote in your first mail:
Please include a (perhaps temporary) URL pointing to the source code.
We wish to review your source code, even if it is not functional, [...]

> And because of tools/*:

What about tools? I can see only one file there in my disk:
Catalog_Extract.pl
Maybe it got into the tarball I sent you too. It it something different,
independent, I once did to help somebody on the gutvol-d mailing-list.

<-----------< End of quotation <-------------<

Hello.

| Is it only for finished and polished projects

We can also approve project without source code, but if you upload something
in planning phase it has to valid with our policy, too.

We host free software projects and provide developer tools for the project
maintainers and members.

But it's all /public/, because the code has to be open everytime. So if you
would like to program on your own something, don't use Savannah.

| no status with respect to free or proprietary software

We only host free software that can run on free operating systems.

| Do you write a copyright statement first thing of all every
| time you create a new file?

No because a file <10 lines doesn't need a copyright, or even cannot be
copyrighted. ;-)
But if you would like to publish something on a world-readable-platform (like
Savannah), you had to keep care of copyright and license issues.

So if you really care about privacy, how could be Savannah be useful for you?
We don't host /private/ projects.

Clarify this point please.
Thanks.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4612>