[Savannah-register-public] [task #4965] Submission of Reverb

From: Shaddy Zeineddine
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4965] Submission of Reverb
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:49:04 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=8142>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  Reverb

System Group Name:
-----------------
  reverb

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software &amp; documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

------------
  Less than a week ago I applied to register this project on sourceforge.net,
today I stumbled onto Savannah and now I wish I came here first. I had written
this awesome introduction for them, and there's no way I could do it again!
:/

So let me try and cover everything in a short summary... :D

I had an idea to make a reverse dictionary, you search definitions to get
words. It's supposed to help in those times when you have the word in your
head or on the tip of your tongue but you cant remember it, its supposed to
pick up where a thesaurus leaves off. Im excited to share with you that it
uses the GCIDE_XML dictionary!!! i emailed the guy who ran that project but
sadly he hasn't responded yet. The program is written in python. There is a
command line and gui version using tkinter. I am going to provide in addition
to the *.py script, a packaged version with py2exe for people who dont want to
install python on a windows computer. I am also looking for a thesaurus
project like gcide to implement the TRUE goal of reverb, its supposed to take
your search words and look up synonyms and search those too... so if you
searched for fast, it would search quickly and so on... i have yet to find
one though, but I will make sure it's free. My program will be available
under the GNU GPL, naturally, and I have a completely working version done
already! its served off my home computer so if the link isn't working when
you try it now, what can i say? try again another time? im working on a
budget :]    thank you for your time, the script is located here:
http://shaddy.servebeer.com/reverb.py

word wasp was the former named of reverb! i changed it. My code may not be as
pretty as it should be, but my defense is that its still alpha?

Shaddy Zeineddine

Other Software Required:
  i make use of the expat xml parser to parse the GCIDE_XML project's english
dictionary, Tkinter, and Pmw (python mega widgets). I think thats it, my
command line program only uses expat

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4965>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/