[Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #5527] Submission of Ethiopia Free

From: TG
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] Re: [task #5527] Submission of Ethiopia Free software Localisation
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 23:39:38 +0200

I replyed for your inquiry on 12th may and I sent as a reply. I see
that I should use a reply to all function. The fallowing was the text
of the reply
===========

Hi
Sorry for the delay on replying.
Let me start from my self. I am a computer and especially a free
software enthusiast because I see it as the only means the digital
revolution possibly could happen in my native country Ethiopia. No
proprietary software developer would be interested to develop a
software for a unique alphabet to a poor country that could not afford
to buy. When I was introduced to the free software movement I decided
to get involved. Since then the biggest chunk of my free time goes to
that. I have been involved in translation of Gnome, Abiword, poedit,
google, kipot, wikipedia, wiktionary. I have translated 1500 terms
glossary that are considered basic by Openofficeorg translators.

After an initial difficulty finding them i got in touch with people
with similar interest. Though there are many things that has been done
by few individuals it did not result in creating a group that evolves
and grows. Though I can think of many reasons why this has/has not
happened, lack of a neutral ground where individuals can meet and
collaborate plays greater role. Platforms controlled by single
individuals do not inspire us:-). And savanah is the neutralest and
freeest of all.

Translations can be done any where depending on the personal
preference of the translator. I my self am growing fond of roseta. Not
only the fact that I can download a po file and translate few strings
and upload it again but also I can translate at Internet cafe if i
feel like it.

The main purpose of this site at savanah will be as a resource center
and means to exchange experiences which we totally lack at the moment.
The site at savanah will not disappear when individuals come and go or
replaced. And I have to admit at the moment I have no means
(financially) to provide such site even if I over come the mistrust
issue.

After observing for many years the development of free Amharic
(Ethiopic) software, in the absence of any meaning full backing from
established institutions this could the best thing that could happen.

And I hope this would answer your questions. And please do not
hesitate to ask me if you need any more explanation.

Tegegne Tefera