[Savannah-register-public] [task #6024] Submission of Web-Based Project

From: Stephan Peijnik
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #6024] Submission of Web-Based Project Manager
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:44:33 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4:

Hi Arne,

First of all, please note that Savannah supports projects of the Free
Software movement, not projects of the Open Source movement.

We are careful about ethical issues and insist on producing software that is
not dependent on proprietary software.

While Open Source as defined by its founders means something pretty close to
Free Software, it's frequently misunderstood.  For more information, please
see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html.

Secondly, we do not want to know whether your program compiles on Sun Java on
a free Operating system and/or platform, but we would like to know if it is
possible to both compile and run your program using free implementations of
both a Java compiler and a Java virtual machine. As Sun Java is proprietary
software, it does not fit into this category.

Thirdly, Savannah is not a 'catalog of open-source projects'. As mentioned
before, Savannah supports projects of the Free Software movement, not the
Open Source movement. Savannah isn't some sort of catalog either, it is a
development platform and tries to provide its users with various things such
as: mailing list hosting, bug tracker hosting, patch tracker hosting, version
control system (CVS, GNU Arch) hosting, webhosting and a few other things.

How are you planning to use your Savannah account?

Finally, the decision whether you want to host things yourself or have things
hosted by us is totally up to you. We cannot judge on what is better for you.

Regards,

Stephan

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?6024>

  Message sent via/by Savannah