[Savannah-register-public] [task #6046] Submission of mftrace

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #6046] Submission of mftrace
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:24:17 +0000

1. Indeed, I didn't see:
Copyright (c) 1999--2006 by the authors
'by the authors' is quite vague.

I thought it was only you and Jan.

What we're trying to convey at Savannah, is that copyright is the foundation
of copyleft, is our only legal protection and is not to be played with.

Hopefully we'll get right of this overcomplex system someday - right now this
is not an option.

If you decide to make this a top priority for your project, and consider that
having a Savannah account and its tools will help you in fixing copyright
matters, then we may create the account now - and we'll let you report
progress within, say, one month.

2. Note that I didn't say 'GPLv3', but 'GPL v2 or later'.
We ask authors to publish their changes under this licensing scheme when they
submit a project at Savannah, for the reasons I explained before.

Sticking to GPLv2 does not prevent against future loopholes. It will also
have people rewrite your code under GPLv3 if at some point in the future
you're not available for relicensing and they need to use a (v2-incompatible)
v3'd library in combination with mftrace.

At the same time, if the FSF suddently decide to drop copyleft from the
GPLvN:
- this is questionnable because not "similar in spirit" to previous versions
of the license
- Projects will still be available under free GPLv(N-1)
- In the worst case you lose copyleft - not the whole program. But as I said
this would be questionnable in court.

So as a long term decision I personaly license my code under v2-or-later.

If you think that's not possible we can either ask RMS to reconsider this
decision about Savannah or don't host the project here :/

I see that project Lilypond was approved at Savannah a long time ago (2002),
probably before nongnu.org was initiated, so this may sounds surprising to
you, but we work this way for at least 3 years - you can check the other
pending submissions in this tasks tracker.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?6046>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/