[Savannah-register-public] [task #7641] Submission of Night Light IRC Pr

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7641] Submission of Night Light IRC Proxy/Bouncer
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:17:46 +0000

Follow-up Comment #4:

Hi,

"I am not sure what you mean by project development should happen primarily
on Savannah. With project development do you mean submitting new releases and
communicating with other developers?"

I mean that if Savannah is just a mirror (for code or downloads), we won't
host the project.

"Right now you can run ./configure --disable-ssl and it will build without
SSL support, the openssl is not required then.  With the --disable-ssl it does
not look for the openssl library at all. Is it sufficient if I make SSL
support disabled by default so that you have to run ./configure --enable-ssl
to make it compile with SSL support?"

This is not a compile-time issue, this is a source issue directly. The GPL'd
source code that depends on incompatibly-licensed legally cannot be
redistributed without violating your license (the GPL).

"I learned how to use openssl by myself and it took me quite a while but if
gnuTLS is very similar I don't see any problem making it work. Another
question then is, if I make it work with both openssl and gnuTLS, can it still
use the openssl library if it is found on the system and gnuTLS is not found
on the system?"

If your code works with GnuTLS and if exactly that same code "happens to
work" with OpenSSL, there's no problem in the source code - but this will
still be a problem for binaries, because you link compiled GPL'd code with
compiled GPL-incompatible code.

"Which files are considered non-free? Is it configure.in and Makefile.in ? Is
it sufficient to just remove the "All rights reserved" line and only keep the
Copyright? Or must I add the GNU license note to those files as well?"

When you don't write anything after a copyright notice, it's the same as "All
rights reserved", which means you don't give any right to the end user - no
copy, no modification, etc.

If the file is trivial (rule of thumb: < 10 lines), then the file is
considered not copyrightable, and no notice is necessary.

In all other cases, you need to add a copyright notice and a license header.

See also this page:
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/License-Notices-for-Other-Files.html#License-Notices-for-Other-Files
for a short all-permissive copyright notice that may be used for short
files.

"Currently I'm moving from my apartment and will have limited access to the
internet in the next weeks and limited time to do a new release. I will do a
new release as soon as I am established at my new place, or before if I get
the time."

I'm closing the submission for now, please feel free to resubmit as soon as
you have the time for it.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Regards.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?7641>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/