[Savannah-register-public] [task #7656] Submission of gmailreader

From: Rafael Cunha de Almeida
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7656] Submission of gmailreader
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:41:22 +0000

Hi,

I think I still don't understand the whole issue completely. For instance, if
there's two libraries with the same API, but different licenses: one is GPL
and the other BSD. Would a project that uses that API have to be GPL? But if
there's not such BSD licensed version of the library, the same unmodified
project would have to be GPL? I think maybe I don't agree with the idea that a
program which calls a certain API becomes part of the library that exports
that API before someone uses both together. But since anyone using my file
will end up using a GPL program (and that part I understand and agree), I
think it makes sense to make that clear.

At first I thought that I'd have to change the license of gmailreader.py file
to GPL, which scared me. But now I realise that's not necessary, and people
can always get the code I wrote, write a library for it and use it as any
other BSD licensed code. That has always been all that I really wanted.

So I have to put something like this on the README file, right?

    Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>

    This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    the Free Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

    along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

Should I write only my name as the author or should I put the libgmail's
author name as well? Do I have to add anything else to README besides that and
what it already has? For the setup.py file I should just remove the "this is
in public domain" part and not add any copyright notes or anything, right?
Which copy of the GPL license should I include? GPLv2?

Best regards,
Rafael

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?7656>

  Message sent via/by Savannah