Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7673] Submission of tpop3d

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-register-public] [task #7673] Submission of tpop3d
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:45:55 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:44:03PM +0200, Alexander Shulgin wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 9:29 PM, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi Alexander,
> >
> > Exercise: Arkadiusz says he switches to 'GPL plus OpenSSL exception' -
> > can you see why this won't work? :)
>
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> Uh... not sure, but may be because redistribution still violates
> section 2.b) of GPLv2?

The exception alone is ok (it's documented in the GPL FAQ after all).

In this case though, his GPL'd code has the exception but other GPL'd
code (his dependencies) do not - so that violates the license of his
dependencies.

> Alex
> PS: my disbelief in applicability of copyright to software is growing
> higher than ever... :-/

It seems to work ok with proprietary software. For free software, we
want something that works for "anyone, anywhere", so it's somewhat
more complicated.

But here, it's rather that the openssl team made a terrible licensing
job :/

--
Sylvain