[Savannah-register-public] [task #9774] Submission of Chrony

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #9774] Submission of Chrony
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 21:43:39 +0000

Hi, I'm evaluating your application.

Licensing under the "GNU GPL v2 only" is problematic.  Would you agree to
license your project under the "GNU GPL v2 or later"?

The reason for this is that when we publish the next version of the GPL, it
will be important for all GPL-covered programs to advance to that new version.
If you don't put this in the files now, the only way to port your program to
the next version of the GPL would be to ask each and every copyright holder,
and that may be very difficult.

We can explain the issue in more detail if you wish. If you have concerns
about "GNU GPL v2 or later", we'd be happy to address them too.

In order to release your project properly and unambiguously under the GNU
GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy statements at the
beginning of every copyrightable file, usually any file more than 10 lines
long.

We require that all documentation have a compatible license with GNU Free
Documentation License. The GNU GPL is not compatible with the FDL and as such
you may not use it for your documentation.

You may find compatibile licenses here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#FreeDocumentationLicenses

You added the license notices, but did not add appropriate copyright notices.

Please check
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html for more
information, and update your files. Also, place copying permission notices for
all your files. These files will include Makefiles, scripts, and ChangeLogs
from your project.

I want to make sure that this project works without non-free software that is
included in the linux kernel. Can you confirm that this project will provide
better support for the linux-libre project?

http://www.fsfla.org/svnwiki/selibre/linux-libre/

The address of the FSF has changed, and is now:

  51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301  USA

Please update your license notices.

Please update the copy of the license (usually, the 'COPYING' file) in your
package as well.

The old updated version of the GPL can be found at:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.txt

Really, we think you should upgrade to the latest version of the GPL.

Updated versions of the GPL, LGPL and GFDL can also be found at:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.txt
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.txt

You can find some background and a possible migration script at
https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=3766

(alternatively the GNU (L)GPLv3 standard notices include different wording
that do not mention the FSF snail mail address
- see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html#howto )

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?9774>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/