[Savannah-register-public] [task #9944] Submission of Argile programming

From: Mario Castelán Castro
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #9944] Submission of Argile programming language compiler
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 16:28:34 +0000

December 5th 2009 in GNU Savannah item 9944: "Submission of Argile
programming language compiler"

>Also, I wonder if it is important to copyright build files
>(Makefile.am , configure.ac) they are not really part of the software
>itself.

Yes, they are.

>What wrong would that do if they were copied without restrictions ?

There is no problem if build script can be copied without restrictions
but if you want that you should explicity state it to avoid
confussion.

>Besides, I do not know what license I should specify for these
>documentations files (FDL ?) ...  (note that one of them contains an
>english short description of some algorithms used in the software)

Since your documentation files are kinda lenghty I advice you to use
the GNU FDL. Unless you want to use an optional feaature you should
put this notice on the FDL files:

Copyright (C) The Argile authors (See file AUTHORS).

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3 or
any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no
Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.  A
copy of the license is included in the section entitled "GNU Free
Documentation License".

And you should include the FDL plain text version in the tarball:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt, the best place IMO would be
in doc/COPYING.

Remember than you must specify the copyright years, change AUTHORS
file to:

This program has been developed and is Copyrigth (C) HERE THE
COPYRIGHT YEARS by Josselin Chièze <address@hidden>

As some files are Copyright the FSF the README file must be changed:

Unless otherwise stated inside it, the following files are Copyrighted
as free software by the Argile authors (see AUTHORS file distributed
along with this software).  You can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License, either version 3 or
(at your option) any later version published by the Free Sofrware
Foundation (see COPYING file for details on the license).

LIST OF FILES OF ARGILE COMPILER

Unless otherwise stated inside it, the following files are Copyrighted
as free software by the Argile authors (see AUTHORS file distributed
along with this software).  You can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the zlib licence (see argrt/COPYING file for
details on the license).

LIST OF RUN TIME LIBRARY FILES

Unless otherwise stated inside it, the following files are Copyrighted
as free documentation by the Argile authors (see AUTHORS file
distributed along with this software).  You can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the terms of the GNU Free Docuementation Licence, ethier
version 1.3 or at your option any later published by the Free Software
Foundation (see doc/COPYING file for details on the license).

LIST OF DOCUEMTNATION FILES

Consider to put the run time library under the GNU GPL. If your
compiler becomes widely used that would be a boost to free software
(This is not a hosting requirement, only advice).

Regards

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?9944>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/