[Savannah-register-public] [task #10620] Submission of JBackpack

From: Ronny Standtke
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10620] Submission of JBackpack
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 15:54:44 +0000

> I am reviewing your submission on behalf of Savannah
Thank you very much.

> sorry for the delay.
No problem.

> There is no README file in the top level.
Fixed.

> The recommended way of dealing with this situation is adding a
> line to a README file which lists for every binary file the
> name, author and license.
(Hopefully) fixed.

> The copyright holder is listed as "imedias"; however, I can't
> find in the documentation who they may be. There is a link to
> http://www.imedias.ch  which seems to be German page for an
> Institute, but I cannot read German. Now, it is OK for groups
> or companies to hold copyright, but it is convenient to have
> an easy way to contact them. In particular, some easy way to
> link the submitter with the institution would make our life
> easier.
imedias is a section of an institute of the University of Applied Science
Northwestern Switzerland and I am an employee of imedias.

> it would be a good opportunity to mention GNU's page
> explaining the difference.
Done by adding a link to the German translation.

> In the libs/ directory there is a library called jemmy.jar,
> and I cannot find it amongst the dependencies listed. I am not
> even sure that it contains source code.
This is not a runtime dependency but only a testing dependency. Jemmy (see
https://jemmy.dev.java.net) is licensed under the CDDL (see
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cddl1.php).

> There is also libs/javaws.jar,
This is the Java Web Start library (see
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tech/javawebstart-136408.html).

> which comes with a restrictive license. I'm not sure it can be
> distributed under the GPL at all.
This library is also part of the OpenJDK, which is free software, so I
assumed it was OK to include it in the project for convenience. But I have now
removed it from the project and replaced it with a link to the library of the
respective Java Runtime on the local machine.

> Could you upload an updated tarball
I have put the updated tarball on our own server this time:
http://www.imedias.ch/dateien/jbackpack_0.9-1.tar.gz

Thanks!

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?10620>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah