[Savannah-register-public] [task #10626] Submission of ESPResSo

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #10626] Submission of ESPResSo
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 22:27:50 +0000

Follow-up Comment #16, task #10626 (project administration):

Hi Olaf,

Thanks for your careful attention to these things.

Regarding history: as long as nothing you will put on savannah is actually
proprietary or nonfree, I don't see a problem with including the historical
files without notices, etc.  After all, "copyright bugs" happen all the time,
even with long-standing projects.

underscore.sty is more problematic. Whether you modify it or not doesn't
matter.  One approach would be to ask Don Arseneau to allow use under the
GPL/FDL as well as the LPPL.

Strictly speaking, the alternative is to (1) add an additional permission to
your doc license that says "Permission is also granted to use packages covered
by the LPPL" (we could work on the exact wording), *and* (2) not include
underscore.sty in your dev repo on savannah.  Most TeX users will have it
already, and those who don't could download it from CTAN, or your web page if
you provide it there, or wherever.

Sorry for the extra trouble caused by the incompatibility of these two free
software licenses, but the goal for savannah is that everything should be
GPL/GFDL-compatible.

If I'm missing some other solution, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Best,
Karl

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?10626>

  Message sent via/by Savannah