[Savannah-register-public] [task #14075] Submission of Spherical In-Core

From: Ted Wetherbee
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #14075] Submission of Spherical In-Core Volume Rendering
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 16:43:02 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the comments, and I'll try to answer here.

The t_ test/sample files submitted have a routine generating a 3D scalar field
from a function which is then scaled to bytes matching a particular RGB-alpha
color table: f(x,y,z) with range in [0,255].  Viewing solids generated by
function could certainly be a use.

I've mostly used this rendering code within time-evolving simulation codes
like WRF (Weather Research Forecast model, NCAR), CM1 (Cloud Model 1, G Bryan
NCAR), Flash (multiphysics, U Chicago), and various astrophysical and CFD
codes.  One converts generated floating point scalar and vector fields to
bytes before rendering.  I can't see including these directly for tests &
examples as each can be a trial setting up, and interesting data sets from
these tend to be large.

There are publicly available data sets from the medical people which can be
used and I've checked out, MRI and CAT scans of skulls, frogs, bonsai trees,
teacups, and things like that.

I have many other sample/test programs which use externally available data,
especially so for testing within the AMR codes in paramesh and patch style.
There are recipes for incorporating srend within WRF, CM1, and other
simulation codes.  But, I thought that this submission should be
self-contained and modest in size.  These other test/sample "t_" programs and
recipes could include links to sites where data and application code is freely
available.  Some are public domain (WRF), others BSD/MIT.

But, I view these "t_" sample/test files as trivial because they don't do
anything useful besides illustrating use in specific ways.  In working with
time-evolving simulation application codes and people who write them, I've
found such examples helpful.  My view is that "public domain" on such template
programs invites cut & paste on small pieces, perhaps just the srend calls,
then modification without concern.  Real applications have their own data
arrays, evolution loops, paralellism style, etc.

There is some documentation, something I've spent time on and am working on
this summer.  This is incomplete at the moment and scattered, some here:

http://cs.fdltcc.edu/srend/

Some collaborators were interested in SVN vs. git, and I think that
consolidating from this current scattered form to one visible clearly free
site is a good idea.

Many thanks, Ted

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14075>

  Message sent via/by Savannah