Re: [Savannah-users] Error message: my account does not exist

From: Daniel Clemente
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Error message: my account does not exist
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 10:39:39 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, that helps, thanks.

> Savannah and Gna both use the same piece of software
> (savane) to build their
> sites, so they look similar.

  But very very similar indeed.

  Compare both descriptions: which is which?

------------------
Welcome to ............., the software forge for people committed to Free
Software:
    * We host free projects that run on free operating systems and without any
proprietary software dependencies
------------------
This site is a central point for development, distribution and maintenance of
Libre Software (Free Software) projects.
------------------

Both host a list of projects:
https://savannah.gnu.org/search/index.php?type_of_search=soft&words=%%%
https://gna.org/search/index.php?type_of_search=soft&words=%%%

And there are places where you can see information about both at once:
https://gna.org/projects/savane

  This is confusing, specially to new users (I mean new users of Gna/Savannah).
It seems that we have two project management projects and there seems to be no
cause for division.

  Compare with Ubuntu's Launchpad: it is just one platform; there is no visible
division between the program Launchpad and the project tracking portal
Launchpad.
  They may have some demo installations of the program Launchpad, but this is
hidden from the user.

  Is the division Savannah/Gna an ethical one? A technical one? It would be
helpful to have a page which explains the limits of both, and why they don't
merge.

-- Daniel