Re: [Savannah-users] VCS transition request for erbot

From: Jan Owoc
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] VCS transition request for erbot
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:27:18 -0600

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Vivek Dasmohapatra <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, I'm one of the admins for the erbot project on nongnu savannah:
> We'd like to move from CVS to Git, is this the right place to request
> that?
>
> My savannah username is 'fledermaus'.

This is the list of savannah-USERS, so most of the thousands of people
are unable to act on your request directly. However, this is the right
place to ask "how do I move my project from CVS to Git, as many of you
fellow users may have done something similar".

I haven't moved my project, but probably you need to enable Git
(sooner or later). Go to your project page, from the top menu select
"Main" "Select Features" and enable Git.

The next step is something that another fellow user may be able to
help you with, namely migrating the history over to the git repository
(simply moving the files would be trivial). A quick Internet search
finds cvs2git [1] and git-cvsimport [2], but I haven't used either so
I can't step you through it. A few pages I've randomly found recommend
the former over the latter [3] [4] but YMMV.

Jan

[1] http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/cvs2git.html
[2] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/v1.5.6/git-cvsimport.html
[3]