[Savannah-users] questions about AGPL, OpenJDK

From: Simon Ley
Subject: [Savannah-users] questions about AGPL, OpenJDK
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:20:45 +0100

Hello,

I have begun writing a MMOG in Java which I would now like to host as
a project on savannah.nongnu.org. To me, the GNU AGPL seems to be my
licence of choice, but I am unsure about the following:

If I put both client and server under it, wouldn't that mean that each
client instance would have to offer its source code to the server if
requested? I don't think it is appealing to the players if they are
obliged to upload the whole client source data they are using,
including images and sound. On the other hand, if I put the client
under the GPL and the server under the AGPL, I would have to create
two projects since I can only choose one licence per project. What
should I do?

Furthermore, I have read about the Java trap and IcedTea. I develop
and test my code with eclipse under Ubuntu 12.04.1, using
java-6-openjdk-i386 as VM, and have installed the packages
openjdk-6-jdk and openjdk-6-jre from the default Ubuntu repositories.
The package description says "The packages are built using the IcedTea
build support and patches from the IcedTea project". Can I be sure
that my code fulfils the free software requirements?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Simon