Re: [Savannah-users] password must be more complicated

From: Jan Owoc
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] password must be more complicated
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 08:15:18 -0600

Hi Bob,

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM, Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:
> Setting match=0 seems to help with the "dictionary" issue.
>
>   $ echo ohtaOe0h | pwqcheck -1 match=0 max=256 min=disabled,24,11,8,7
>   OK
>
>   $ echo uChiel9m | pwqcheck -1 match=0 max=256 min=disabled,24,11,8,7
>   OK

[...]
> Does anyone see why the results are so crazy using pwqcheck?  Is this
> problem causing users grief?  Or a different problem?

I can confirm that the previous settings in Savannah (haven't checked
now) would not allow a few completely random passwords because they
were apparently based on dictionary words. It was immensely
frustrating (as a user) to be first told that none of my common
passwords pass, then turn to a password generator and be told that a
password looking like "ohtaOe0huChiel9m" is based on a dictionary
word. I think it took me 3 tries to generate something that would be
acceptable (longer passwords are more likely to have a 4-character
sub-string that is apparently based on a dictionary word).

Jan