Re: [Savannah-users] Some errors: Dependency added item not found

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Some errors: Dependency added item not found
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 17:27:16 -0700

Hello Navaneeth,

Navaneeth.K.N wrote:
> I am trying to update dependencies for a task. I have searched for the
> bug, selected it and clicked on "Submit changes and browse items". It
> failed to redirect with an error.
>
> "Some errors: Dependency added item not found"
>
> Interestingly, the dependency that I wanted got added successfully.
> But this error happens. The task that I tried to update is -
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?12936

First, I don't know.  I am unfamiliar with the web site code.  However
I will note that I have seen similar things myself on the web site.
It seems that some operations inappropriately place informational
messages into the "flash"[1] area as an error even if it is not an
error.  For example if I update a bug and it emails it will declare an
error that it sent email to this list of addresses.

In your case it does have more of the appearance that there was an
error.  But apparently not a bad one if the dependency was actually
added as seen by you later.

And so I think that is just a quirk of the current code.  Something
that could certainly be improved.

Bob

[1] "Flash" area.  I don't know if Savannah calls it that but in other
frameworks such as Rails that is what they call an area used to place
temporary information to be displayed to the user.  Basically
combining a seperate confirmation page onto the next page so as to
compress the number of clicks and pages that a user would need to
click through.