Re: [Savannah-users] Project revision vs. replacement.

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Project revision vs. replacement.
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 13:13:24 -0400

Hello,

On 10/23/2014 07:44 PM, juanslayton @dslextreme.com wrote:
I have radically revised an old project, changing the graphics
platform (SVGA to SDL2), the associated dependencies, the
implementing hardware, and the name.  Also wish to change the
repository from CVS to git.  The old implementation is essentially
worthless and I don't want it around cluttering things up.

Seems to me the thing to do is totally delete the old project
("classnet") and start a new one with the new name ("desknet").  But
I haven't figured out how to do that.

Generally, projects hosted on GNU Savannah should not be deleted.
For more information, see here:
 http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/RemovingProject/

But there is not problem in transitioning to a new code base, while keeping the
existing one available.

I can think of few possibilities:

1. Enable "GIT" repository in your 'classnet' project, and store new code there.
(When viewing the project's page in GNU Savanna, click on "main", then "Select
features", then enable git).
The old code will be kept available through CVS, and your new code can be
stored in GIT.

2. Convert the existing repository from CVS to GIT (we can help with that),
and add your new code on top of that.
Your old code base will thus be available through GIT as an old revision (you
can use git-tag to mark it as such).

3. Register a new project "desknet" with the new code base, as a completely
independent project,
with no relation to 'classnet'.
You can also mark the 'classnet' project as "decommissioned" and add a notice pointing to
"desknet" in the project's description.

Regards,
 - Assaf

P.S.
I'd just like to point the obvious:
When starting with a completely new code base, rewritten from scratch,  the new
code must also comply with the GNU Savannah hosting requirements.