Re: [Savannah-users] Savannah reboots today

From: Eric Wong
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Savannah reboots today
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 00:12:27 +0000

Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:
> The hardware problems have been isolated and corrected.  All of the
> systems are back online and operating normally.

Thanks, curious if you could provide any post-mortem on what
went wrong, how it was fixed, how to avoid it in the future,
etc...

I noticed your message[1] in bug-bash stating you guys hit the
xinetd limit for git-daemon due to networking issues:

  http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden

Was this with or without SO_KEEPALIVE on the sockets?

By default, SO_KEEPALIVE still takes around 2 hours to detect a
failed connection, so it's probably worth tweaking the
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_* knobs, too.

I use xinetd myself for git-daemon, and have always had
SO_KEEPALIVE enabled in my /etc/xinet.d/git via:

        flags           = KEEPALIVE

But I guess git-daemon should be doing setsockopt to enable
SO_KEEPALIVE itself...  I'll test + post patches to the git
mailing list soonish.  I added SO_KEEPALIVE to the client-side
of git years ago, but forgot the daemon :x.