Re: [Savannah-users] promote linuxfund

From: Jan Owoc
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] promote linuxfund
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 22:08:49 -0700

Hi Joel,

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Joël Krähemann <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have got promised a small donation from linuxfund and want to
> promote it on http://nongnu.org/gsequencer/index.html with a badge or
> banner.
>
> Since I read there is no advertising allowed I really want to be sure
> what goes into that policy.
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/NoAdvertising/

If you put a badge or banner on your site to an external site, that
might be considered advertising. I'm not a Savannah administrator,
just another Savannah user, but I can explain how I would interpret
that page. There appear to be two reasons advertising isn't present on
Savannah.

1) You need to ensure that the advertised/linked page(s) do not
advertise competing products, i.e. software that isn't hosted on
Savannah but does similar things, and that any linked software is
free/libre.

2) You need to figure out how to feed potential revenue back to
Savannah (you are getting free hosting here, and many volunteers put
in hundreds of hours a year to keep it running).

I can see how many free software projects can benefit from having a
relationship with an organization that provides paid consulting
services and would like to give back. It would make sense to list
these patrons on a sub-page of the project, much like the FSF does
(note: this isn't the main FSF homepage - one needs to look for the
list of patrons, which includes ones making/distributing proprietary
software):
https://www.fsf.org/patrons

Jan