scim-user

[Scim-user] How to input Traditional Chinese with Scim

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: [Scim-user] How to input Traditional Chinese with Scim
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:43:04 +0200

Hallo, everybody.

I'm brand new to Scim.
I've just installed it in order to input chinese characters,
but don't know how to input Traditional Chinese.
In fact, in the Smart Pinyin menu (in the toolbar right below)
only Simplified Chinese appears.
How can I input both Simplified and Traditional Chinese?
Can anybody give me an example of how to input a word or phrase:
in Simplified and in Traditional Chinese?

The installation of Scim turned out to be quite laborious
because some problem arose. Maybe I don't manage to input Traditional
Chinese
because there were some errors and/or lacks in the installation?
Below I'm reporting the various steps I followed.

On my PC I have Mandrake Linux 9.1, and I use KDE as Desktop enviroment.
Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks indeed,
                        Rodolfo

1)  From
    http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/ScimDownload
    I downloaded scim-1.0.1.tar.gz and scim-chinese-0.4.2.tar.gz

2)  I unpacked scim-1.0.1.tar.gz and then I did:

         # ./configure

    , but something went wrong, because at the end of the long output there
was:

         configure: error:
         *** SCIM requires
         ***      sizeof (unsigned short int)  == 2
         ***      sizeof (char)                == 1
         *** You might want to consider using the GNU C compiler.

    In fact, when I said '# make', I got:

    address@hidden scim-1.0.1]# make
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

3)  'glibc' was already installed; then I also installed 'glibc-i18n';
    but when I did './configure' to configure the package
'scim-1.0.1.tar.gz'
    it still gave the error message

        configure: error:
        *** SCIM requires
        ***      sizeof (unsigned short int)  == 2
        ***      sizeof (char)                == 1
        *** You might want to consider using the GNU C compiler.

4)  I did `$ drakconf' and installed all packages in the "Development Tool"
catalog,
    and finally I could install the `scim-1.0.1.tar.gz' package
    with the ./configure, make and `make install' circle.
    Everything seemed to go well, but when I tried to do the same with the
package
    scim-chinese-0.4.2.tar.gz I had problems with the ./configure:
    in fact, it ended with the following message:

    checking for scim >= 0.99.8... Package scim was not found in the
pkg-config search path.
    Perhaps you should add the directory containing `scim.pc'
    No package 'scim' found

    configure: error: Library requirements (scim >= 0.99.8) not met;
    consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
    if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find
them.

5)  I made sure the file 'scim.pc' was in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/,
    then I said '$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig'
    and then I builded scim-chinese-0.4.2.tar.gz, successfully, it seems.

6)  In the home directory I did:

        # localedef -f GBK -i zh_CN zh_CN.gbk

7)  I ran '$ locale -a' to check if 'zh_CN.gbk' had been created.

8)  The file ~/.i18n did not exist, I created it and edited it as follows:

        LANGUAGE=it_IT.UTF-8
        XIM_PROGRAM=scim
        CONSOLE_NOT_LOCALIZED=yes
        LC_MEASUREMENT=it_IT.UTF-8
        LC_TIME=it_IT.UTF-8
        XIM=SCIM
        LC_PAPER=it_IT.UTF-8
        LC_TELEPHONE=it_IT.UTF-8
        LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8
        LC_NUMERIC=it_IT.UTF-8
        LC_ADDRESS=it_IT.UTF-8
        LC_NAME=it_IT.UTF-8
        LC_MESSAGES=it_IT.UTF-8
        ENC=it
        LANG=it_IT.UTF-8
        LC_IDENTIFICATION=it_IT.UTF-8
        XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
        LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8
        LC_COLLATE=it_IT.UTF-8

9)  In the home directory, I did:

        $ sh ~/.i18n

10) I did

        # emacs /usr/local/etc/scim/global

    , and replaced the line

        /SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8

    with

        /SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8,it_IT.UTF-8

11) I did

        # emacs /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

    , and added the lines:

        LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.gbk scim -d

        export address@hidden

12) I added the following lines to my .bash_profile file:

        export LANG=it_IT.utf8
        export LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.gbk

13) In the file /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules I changed

        "/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.2.0/immodules/im-xim.so"
        "xim" "X Input Method" "gtk+" "/usr/share/locale" "ko:ja:zh"

    into

        "/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/immodules/im-xim.so"
        "xim" "X Input Method" "gtk20" "/usr/share/locale"
        "ko:ja:th:zh:it"

14) I rebooted Linux

15) I did '$ scim -d'

16) I ran Emacs and typed "CTRL+SPACE" to turn on SCIM.