screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Screen documentation

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Screen documentation
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:40:45 +0200

On Jun 26, 08 11:44:09 -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
> Adam Lazur wrote:
> >
> > The crusty old unix guy inside my head is screaming "DROP THE TEXINFO,
> > IT'S EVIL", but the gnu project probably disagrees ;)

Seems we are same generation, Adam :-)
At school, I learned that the man page is *the documentation*, learned
what to expect in which man section, and learned how to use less
and vi to efficiently navigate and search in large one-piece-docs.

These yougsters are different. Let them prefer the "evil stuff". :-)

> Emphatically. :) GNU policy is to always provide texinfo, and only
> provide man pages if you want to/must.
>
> For my part, I'm not a huge fan of either man or texinfo, but I do
> prefer TeX over *roff (for typeset pages, that is). And I mostly like
> info's interactive interface over man's one-big-set-of-pages.

I will advocate to have both man and techinfo, for its a matter of taste.
We should not force man-lovers into becoming grumpy-texinfo-users or
vice versa.
And I mean having them both with equal contents, so that it is a
freedom of choice;
not one pointing to the other, so that you have to know both.

Hyperlinks have their use, though, I wish nroff would allow them.

        cheers,
                Jw.

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert      unix-software __/ _=======.=======_