screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] refactor

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] refactor
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 21:15:30 +0200

On Oct 05, 08 11:23:01 -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:

> William Pursell wrote:

Hey William, welcome to screen!

> > Here's a "janitorial" patch of the type I
> > mentioned in my last mail.  A few questions:
> >
> > Is it necessary to continue using old K&R style
> > parameter declarations?
>
> My feeling is no, but we should get confirmation from Juergen.

K&R prototypes used to be of interest for at least one machine back at
university. If they haven't fixed that machine yet, their fault.
On the other hand using __P() was no pain either. It just looks a bit
old-fashioned.
I'd suggest to test a few protoypes without __P() in the next release and see
if anybody complains.

> > I notice there is neither a 'check' nor
> > a 'test' target--is there a test suite?
>
> Nope. It'd be nice to have, but as the code is currently structured,
> probably pretty difficult.

At least the rcfile parser shold have an own main() for selftests.
We broke it a few times in the past, without noticing.
As soon as you start any work that affects parsing, escaping, etc,
please write a screenrc containing all possible horrors and prepare a
simple main to call. With a certain verbosity on, the test suite could
simply check if the debug printfs all come out as expected.

> > A distclean target would be nice as well,
> > but it seems easier to use automake than
> > to start writing targets.

There always was a distclean target, when I did dists.
Looks like it got commented out and superceeded by a realclean target.
(Oh, and the make dist target should become an mkdist.sh script, rather than
an inlined shell script as it currently is. I am guilty for that.)

> Agreed. I'd say it's not a priority for 4.1.0, just leave it for when we
> add automake (assuming Juergen is agreeable to that move).

If you have sufficient knowledge for automake, go for it.
I had a hard time to do the initial autoconf cruft when we started,
and never dared to touch it again.

        cheers,
                Jw.

--