screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] feature request

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] feature request
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:26:18 -0400

* address@hidden had this to say on [19 Oct 2008, 17:59:55 -0400]:
> Please consider my window hiding patch for the 'next', 'prev' and
> 'other' commands in some future version. This allows for skipping of
> hidden windows. See my post at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-devel/2006-03/msg00001.html for
> the patch.

Have you tried the new 'window group' feature in the development
version? It allows you to put windows in different groups. The commands
'next', 'prev', 'windowlist' etc., the '%w' command for
hardstatus/caption strings etc. repsect the window grouping. So, the
'next' command will jump to the next window in the same group, instead
of jumping to the window in the numeric order.

A very brief intro to groups:

    screen //group -t <name>  # create a group window
    group       # display the name of the group current window belongs to
    group <group-name> # move the current window to a different group

I think this window-grouping feature would be a better way of dealing
with unwanted windows in the 'next'/'prev' etc. commands (by moving the
windows you want to hide to a different group). What do you think? Does
anyone else has any opinions on this?

PS: We *badly* need to get the documentations for grouping and layout
completed. Volunteers would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Sadrul