screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] alias support for GNU Screen

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] alias support for GNU Screen
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:35:11 +0100

On Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 21:06:13 -0400, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:

> Hi. I tried your patch tonight, and have made some changes. The patchset
> is here: http://www.pidgin.im/~sadrul/pp/screen-alias/. 0001 is your
> patch (after some whitespace changes), 0002 fixes a crash from
> unaliasing, and 0003 changes some of how the aliasing works.

  Thanks.

  (I've already changed the deletion to avoid that crash. :)

> >     bind x alias_name
> >
> >   Unfortunately that eventually causes problems, because SaveAction
> >  keeps pointers to my linked-list which get juggled around when aliases
> >  are added or removed.

> With 0003, both creating binding for aliases, and setting aliases for
> aliases are possible.

  Indeed it mostly works, but there is still a problem.  Try this:

    alias foo echo 'testing'
    bind p foo
    alias foo

  Now you're in the same situation that I was, you've got an alias
 that doesn't exist bound to a key.  Press <ctrl-a p> and screen
 will crash.

  Also I notice a minor functionality change.  With this:

    alias bar echo

  My version:
    <Ctrl+a :> bar 'test'
        -> test

  Your version:
    <ctrl+a :> bar 'test'
        -> : echo: one or two arguments required

  I guess that's because of the way that you've changed the argument
 references.  In practise I think that we could probably do without
 this kind of alias, but I'm not 100% convinced.

> On a different note, this kind of work would be much easier to
> coordinate for everyone if we used git branches.

  Definitely agree.

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration