screen-devel

[screen-devel] Security bug - Password ignored

From: Andreas
Subject: [screen-devel] Security bug - Password ignored
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:19:33 +0100

Hi!

Because this problem was found in the screen-users mailing list in 2004,
again 2008, and is still present, I'm writing to screen-devel:
I'm using screen in a ssh-Terminal (Putty)

.screenrc:
password
-> starting screen says "/home/Andreas/.screenrc: password: window required"

.screenrc:
password sg-md5-crypted
--> Screen asks for a password, but I can reattach with any/empty
password! (Screen asks for a a password!!)
So the user (typically typing in the correct password) believes,
that his sessions are secured, but they aren't!
Please tell me what to do ALSO via Email!
  andreas2 ((AT)) logic.univie.ac.at    (My Reply-to Header is Nobody!!)

Thanks, Andrew