screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #31436] move process into a screen session

From: Nicholas Marriott
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #31436] move process into a screen session
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:44:53 +0000

Follow-up Comment #3, bug #31436 (project screen):

I've thought this would be a nice thing to do but your solution (although
clever and kind of funky) is completely unportable both across platforms and
architectures.

There is a program called neercs that does a similar thing by using ptrace to
permanently hook various syscalls, but again that is a hack that is completely
unportable to anything beyond Linux/x86.

My thought was that a kernel API is needed to transfer ownership of the
master side of a pty (move it to an fd in another process). Obviously this
wouldn't work for the console but it would allow processes to be moved between
pty users (such as xterm), although it would require modification at least of
the receiving process.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?31436>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/