screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #35842] Screen should restore original terminal cont

From: cipher
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #35842] Screen should restore original terminal contents when exiting
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:17:21 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 4.0.3
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Details:

## Background

I'm writing a script that compiles a lot of software.

* compiling bash packages
[ screen is executed like: screen make install clean ]
* compiling php packages
[ screen is executed like: screen make install clean ]

## Actual behavior

When screen finishes successfully, it exits with a message at the bottom
saying:
[screen is terminating]

The rest of the screen is blank, thus the original script output is discarded
and won't return after screen exits successfully. This behavior has also been
confirmed with todays Git release. On IRC it is said this only happens on tty
terminals. I'm logged in via SSH on FreeBSD platform, if that makes any
difference.

## Expected behavior

I would want screen to restore the original terminal contents when it exits
succesfully. I know screen can do this, because when i detach a screen using
Control+A followed by 'd' character, the original terminal contents is
restored. Screen should use the same behavior when exiting.

To get an idea what i expect:
* compiling bash packages
[screen is terminating]
* compiling php packages
[screen is terminating]

This is what i should see, i think. Just one line of output with the original
contents restored. A bonus feature would be an option to silence the "screen
is terminating" message, so we can use screen for cool build scripts. :)

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?35842>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/