screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Fix out of tree build

From: Amadeusz Sławiński
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Fix out of tree build
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 13:00:11 +0000

On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 11:27:37 +0100
Kieran Bingham <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 3 October 2015 at 23:59, Kieran Bingham <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> > Whilst trying to build screen, I attempted a build the master branch
> > in a sub-directory (src/build) to allow clean source tree.
> >
> > This failed, and it would appear to result from commit
> > 144836c3bb020405bf029d0d5a85c84aa74662d9 when the -I flags were
> > removed.
> >
> > As yet, I can not see why these flags were removed, and perhaps
> > there is a better way to fix out of tree build, or indeed
> > perhaps I am simply doing something else wrong (Does this work for
> > anyone else?)
> >
> > Otherwise, the following patch fixes things. If this is appropriate,
> > please apply
> >
> > Tested for both in-tree and out-of-tree build
>
> Nope: This breaks header inclusion for the system headers.
> In particular (first one I've hit so far) - the local pty.h header
> ends up overridding the system one
> and hence it ends up with out a declaration of openpty()
>
> I'll try to find a better fix.

Yeah, if I recall correctly that was the reason why I removed "-I.",
because of conflicting header names. Maybe just rename headers to
screen_pty.h etc. Other which I think may be conflicting are sched.h and
tty.h, so they would be screen_sched.h, screen_tty.h. It's bit ugly but
hard to get conflicting names then. Although if I started prefixing
headers, I would just prefix them all for consistency... on the other
site it's useful to have headers with same names as .c files.

Definitely something to spend some time thinking on.

Amadeusz