screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Screen caused buffer owerflow?

From: Amadeusz Sławiński
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Screen caused buffer owerflow?
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 22:54:25 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016 04:46:55 -0400 (EDT)
Josef Ridky <address@hidden> wrote:

> | What is strange and confusing in that bug report is that the
> original | reporter says he got the error message "terminal name too
> long. (max. | 20 char)". But at least Screen 4.4.0 has MAXTERMLEN set
> to 32 in os.h. | (So unless Fedora patches that value as we do in
> Debian for backwards | compatibility, it's not Screen 4.4.0 issuing
> that error message.)
>
> in the latest version of screen in Fedora (screen-4.4.0) is this
> change applied, but unfortunately, in the error message is still
> presented wrong number of characters of terminal name (but in this
> case the error message isn't shown anymore).

Yes, error message needs to be fixed as it hardcodes number, I will do
that.

> | So for me it's likely that the issue is in an older version of
> screen. | The original reporter also wrote something about a pending
> upgrade. So | I assume that the version number in the report is moot.
>
> I have asked him to upgrade/reinstall screen package to the newest
> version, but he has still the same issue even with actual screen
> version. That's strange.

Overall, I'm also not sure what may cause this problem, code seems
fairly simple and I can't reproduce it here.

Some ideas to try are to make sure he has right screen (md5sum it and
check 'screen --version'). Also same can be done with libraries screen
is linked with.
Another thing I would check is screen.xterm-256color file itself

Also does it work with other terminfo entries?
Does "screen -c /dev/null" work fine?

Amadeusz