screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #50208] paste . command acting strangely without set

From: Min Xu
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #50208] paste . command acting strangely without setsid
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 07:36:02 +0000 (UTC)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: 4.0.3
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Details:

Hi,

I am using this screen version on arch linux.

$ screen --version
Screen version 4.05.00 (GNU) 10-Dec-16

I am using the following screenrc commands to integrate xsel with gnome 3.22
for copy&paste to/from the clipboard.

bindkey -m y eval 'stuff \040' 'writebuf' "exec sh -c 'xsel -bi
</tmp/screen-exchange'"
bind p exec setsid sh -c 'xsel -bo >/tmp/screen-exchange; screen -X eval
readbuf "paste ."'

For the second line, I had to use "setsid" in the exec line in order for the
paste to work.

Without setsid, the paste command will paste the content to the current screen
window, however, the pasted string appears to be not really inserted to the
stdin of the receiving process. I.e. the string will appear on the screen, but
bash or vi doesn't see to receive it. If I press enter after the paste command
with bash, bash acts as if no input is received.

If I paste the content into vi and then save the file, the file size is 0.

Only after the "setsid" change, I can make the pasting work.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?50208>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/