screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #64504] Docs: Inconsistency about MAXWIN

From: Sebastian Carlos
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #64504] Docs: Inconsistency about MAXWIN
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 06:30:13 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
                 Release: 4.9.0
         Discussion Lock: Any
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Wed 02 Aug 2023 10:30:08 AM UTC By: Sebastian Carlos <sebastiancarlos>
MAXWIN is explained in inconsistent ways.

In node "6 New Window", and also in the man page:

> The number of windows is limited at compile-time by the MAXWIN configuration
parameter (which defaults to 40).

In node "7.3 Select":

> there can be no more than 10 windows present simultaneously (unless screen
is compiled with a higher MAXWIN setting).

Not only are the numbers different (and the source suggest that the default
value is 100), but they are wrong to say that the number is defined at
compile-time only; It can also be changed with the 'maxwin' command.

In any case, this might be a very low priority bug, as I can see in the code
for screen version 5 (master branch) that 'MAXWIN' and 'maxwin' will be
removed, and there will be no window limit.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?64504>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/